Monday 13 February 2012

CD cover development ideas

This cover - Only Revolutions by Biffy Clyro is a very open picture with a low horizon - much like that of my picture below, doing this creates space and atmosphere. The ambiguity of the red and blue sheets in the wind add to the artistic element of this cover. The fire in the background also hints a more generic connotation of the Rock genre and how it is defined and refined from rebellion. I hope to achieve a similar effect with the development of this picture - one of my original ideas:


This cover below - Californication by Red Hot Chili Peppers has a sense of augmented/messed up reality. This concept suggests a difference and an originality. This also represents a suggestion of the artists opinion being of surrealism and a world turned upside down - we therefore anticipate this in their music. This idea suits The Upgrades style and connotations within their lyrics (in B.N.R.F for example) with the addition of a political and industrial sense. I used this idea, developing my favorite original idea (because of its strong industrial links) to create the image below the Californication cover.

To make the image above, I used the clone stamp tool to remove the copied and inverted smaller rig to remove the complete symmetry of the image to remove the cheap sense of 'copy and paste' I then merged the background layers and then selected a strip in the middle which I then used the 'enhance' options to make the middle strip black and white - these colours suit the lifeless and industrial image fitting the name and style of music. The title I had as a separate layer so that I can experiment with font, placing and the title its self.



1 comment:

  1. Great Sam. Interesting image which you have documented well. You have shown influences and also discussed what you want to connote about your own band and artist. You have explained use of photoshop as well.

    ReplyDelete